Hello! Here are the much anticipated directions for the May block. Last month we had the cool colours of beach glass, but this month we are going Hot! Hot! Hot! Oh, I love this block and it looks even better joined in a quilt! Accuracy is definitely the key to success on this one. Have fun!!
ONE 12.5” BLOCK
You will need two fabrics either
tone-on-tone or in a print of
*When choosing your fabrics,
make sure they are on the warm
side of the colour wheel -
ie: red based, not blue.
Plus white solid for background
- Fabric A - centre star
1 - 4.5” square
8 - 2.5” squares
- Fabric B - starburst rays 8 - 4.5” squares
- Fabric C - background, white solid
8 - 2.5” squares
Use a scant 1/4” seam. This is very important!!
- Draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of all the 2.5” squares (16 total)
- Take the 8 - 4.5” Fabric B squares and align one of the 2.5” squares in each upper left hand corner right sides together with the diagonal line going across the corner as in the photo. Chain piece, trim and press.
- Take the 4.5” squares with the white background corners and align another white 2.5” square in the opposite corner as in the photo. Chain piece, trim and press.
- Take the 4.5” squares with the Fabric A corners, and align the remaining Fabric A 2.5” squares in the “flying geese” fashion as in the photo. Chain piece, trim and press.
- Assemble the block in three rows as per the photo. Press seams open.
- Join the rows together and press seams open. Your block should measure 12.5” square. As always, one block = one ticket. Happy sewing!
For additional directions see the “Starburst Block” tutorial at
Here are four blocks sewn together so you can see what the quilt will look like.