Monochromatic + & X Block- March BOM“Pick your favorite color and represent your love for it in this monochromatic block.”
NB: we're trying something a little different this month - instead of providing step by step photos, we ask that you click over to the inspiration tutorial since that is so well written. The link is at the bottom in a REALLY big font.
- 1 SOLID color fabric for the center cross - two 2" squares, one 5" x 2" strip
- 1 fabric for the edges of the cross in the same color family as the center - four 2" squares
- 1 SOLID WHITE fabric (not white on white print) for the background triangles - eight 2" squares
- 4 Scrappy fabrics for the arms of the x in the SAME color palette as your solid + shape - four different 3.5" squares to create a monochromatic look.
Making the X
- Begin by aligning one 2" background square onto of one 3.5" square, aligning the corners with right sides facing.
- Using a fabric marking pen and straight edge, draw a straight line for corner to corner on your small background fabric square.
- Sew directly on the line you traced.
- Trim away the outer edge, leaving 1/4" for seam allowance.
- Press open and repeat for the opposite corner. Repeat steps 1-5 until you have 4.
Making the +
- Sew a solid color 2” square to a printed 2” square. Repeat to make two pairs.
- Sew your printed 2” squares on the short ends of your solid color rectangle.
- Sew together all the parts as so it looks like the diagram.
- Your block will be 8" unfinished.
|This diagram is for LAYOUT purposes only,|
NOT for colour placement.
Diagram and directions from
Colour inspiration by
Oh, Fransson! Aviatrix Medallion Quilt border #3
And as always, one block garners you one lotto ticket to win the whole batch. Make one, make five! See you next month!